Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lake Awosting!

Lake Awosting! Have you ever been? I have lived in the area since fall of 1998 (eek!) and I went for the first time this past Sunday! All I have to say is I can't believe I waited this long. The lake is georgeous, they have lifeguards watching the water in the designated swim area, and it is really low key. Now you can't just drive up in your car, the lake is only accessible to the community by hiking, running, or biking in during the summer season. I don't recommend schelping your 5 year old on this journey unless you plan on putting them in a bike seat, backpack carry all (I am not a mom so I don't know what they are really called), or your very own shoulders or arms. It is approximatley 3.3 miles one way via carriage road. There is a foot path you can take as well.  There is one steep ascent but it is very nice on the return trip. Admisson onto Lake Minnewaska State Park is $8 per car and free after 4:00 p.m. If you arrive after 4 p.m. don't expect all the gates to be open they do limit access by cars to certain areas. If you do decide to visit the lake park in the lower parking lot. Weekends are traditionally busier, so find a time that best works for you.

Have fun exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment